29, 30 August
There are two paths leading into what is now called the Hamilton Marsh Regional Park and Conservation Area.
Until this past weekend I've consistently used the second trail. Preliminary investigations during wetter seasons had shown the first to be very boggy. Moreover, until recent work on the trail maintenance, the first path was blocked by blowdowns and demanded more effort and bushwhacking than I found safe to pursue. But after our dry summer (an ill wind blows nobody good?) I reckoned that the path would be dry, and I knew that the trails have been cleared--mostly.
So this past Saturday I explored the first trail. I'd been told that it was even more beautiful than the second, and I concur.
Initially, there is an unfortunate amount of litter at the trailhead--it appears to be a popular destination for messy partying. After a short walk, however, the parties apparently subside, and stands of cedar, hemlock and douglas fir appear.
At some point relatively long ago in the area's history, several of the cedar trees have had cedar strips harvested.
In view of the thick re-growth of bark on this cedar, the harvest has to have occurred some years ago. The First Nations of the Pacific Northwest have used cedar bark for many and varied purposes, and have long known how to harvest it without damaging the trees.
The Forest was logged about a hundred years ago. Many of the trees were massive. This stump has four notches for springboards. The tree must have been enormous; its base is at least ten feet in diameter.
Although dry, much of the area around this path still has vegetation consistent with swamp growth.
This log must have leaned years ago, and then nurtured two sizeable trees.
Much of the Forest is cedar and douglas fir, but there are stands of hemlock along the first path. Their cones are distinctive--tiny and abundant.
Back on the second trail, the effects of drought were more evident. In some places, the abundant sword fern was collapsing.
Bracken fern is drying as well.
The water level in the Marsh is lower than any of us can recall seeing.
Patches of mud are replacing standing water--a disturbing sight.
There remain some hopeful sights. Somehow this yew tree looks more vital than it did a couple of weeks agon.
A female spotted towhee observed us from a stump. After the manner of towhees, she looks rather disapproving.
Tonight, as I write this, it's raining heavily! A much needed event, enough that the driveway has puddles!! Perhaps the season will bring an end to the drought.













Comments
Post a Comment